Pleached Trees and Wall Frames
You are thinking about making a considerable investment in your garden and you may need some help to make sure you are not going to make a blunder, so please read on.
First thing is to consider, is what you need these big plants for and your relationship with your neighbours, and if you have them how it will be received. If you think they are going to love the idea and want to help maintain the hedge/screen then you can use pleached trees right up to the boundary and they are very good at saving space. You can garden under them whilst blocking out a view. If you think, and it is nearly always the case, that you will be looking after them yourself you must leave room to get to the back to allow trimming.
If all you want to do is hide and help make last an ugly fence or wall you could use the wall frames. They instantly take you out of that imprisoned feeling that 6 foot fence panels create without gobbling up 6 feet of border.
Now for planting pleached trees. We always recommend that you erect a rail to sit about 2/3rds of the way up the clear stem. eg; 2 metre stem, rail at 150/160cm off the floor. The rail can be independently secured buy a post every 2.5/3m. If you are in a very windy spot use a second rail midway between the top and the floor to give the plant more anchorage and reinforce the support posts. To the face of the rail you need to fix rubber tree pads and belts to stop the rail rubbing the trunk and to strap the trunk to. (make sure the nail heads are sunk into the pad so they don't scratch at the bark). Best to do this once you have positioned the plants and it's a good idea to know where you are going to be digging the hole for the plant as you don't want to be digging where you have just banged in the posts. Some people like to leave the plants in big planters or pots, the same method of support is best used for them as well. Posts are more important to get in the right spot than the rail, as you can simply over or under lap the rail when starting the next rail. Position the plant upright and fix the pad and belt and you're all but there. Sometimes the frame incorporates the cane or post that is already in with the plant. If it's part of the structure, leave it and tie it in with the trunk to your support frame, if not choose yourself if it is needed or not.
Pleached wall frames. They hardly need any support especially if they have a wall or fence behind them.
Standard trees should be planted much the same way as the support rail method but they can be don separately with 2 posts a short rail and the same pads and belts. They look like mini rugby goals with the tree in the centre.
Looking after them and getting them established.
For the first season you will need to tie in the branches at regular intervals to get them used to the shape of the frame and trim off spare growth you don't want. Once these branches strengthen up and you have the effect you are looking for you will be able to clip the next seasons growth a couple of times a year to keep them to the shape you desire. Feed them in the spring taking care to read the instructions on the rate of application and give them water when they need it. Obviously if they are in pots you will need to do this far more often.
Very good luck and feel free to phone and talk before you get into any difficulty.
Items 1-30 of 33
- Camellia Japonica Lady Campbell Wall Frame 90 Litre Pot£535.00
- Carpinus Betulus Cube Head Full Standard 160 Litre Pot£800.00
- Carpinus Betulus Pleached Full Standard 50 Litre Pot£266.00
- Carpinus Betulus Pleached Full Standard 80 Litre Pot G16/18cm£420.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Standard 8/10cm 30 LitreSpecial Price £280.00 Regular Price £328.50
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Espallier Half Standard 25 Litre Pot£188.50
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Espallier Wall Frame 25 Litre Pot£111.65
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Espallier Wall Frame 50 Litre Pot£260.00
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Espallier Wall Frame 90 Litre Pot£246.50
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Pleached Full Standard 30/5 Litre Pot 6/8Special Price £230.00 Regular Price £290.00
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Pleached Full Standard 50 Litre Pot 10/12cm Girth£375.00
- Ilex Aquifolium Nellie Stevens Full Standard Pleached 35/50 Litre Pot£333.50
- Laurel Hedging Novita Pleached 3/4 Standard 50 Litre Pot£246.50
- Photinia Compacta Angustifolia Wall Frame 15 Litre Pot£75.40
Photinia Compacta Augustifolia is a great alternative to the Photinia Red Robin. It still has the lovely foliage associated with a Red Robin with the addition of a smaller leaf and a more compact, tight growth habit. It doesn't flower so stays looking wonderful all year round.
Height of Frame 90cm and width 50cm. What a great way to plant an instant boundry hedge without taking up hardly any garden.!Learn More
- Photinia Red Robin Half Standard Pleached frame 50/70 Litre Pot 120x150£265.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached Full Standard 50 Litre Pot G 10/12cm£320.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached Wall Frame 15 Litre Pot£81.00
This plant has been formed like a living fence panel. The idea is that, without taking up too much border, you can screen between you and a neighbour. Height of frame 150cm x width 50cm.What a great way to plant an instant boundry hedge without taking up hardly any garden.!Learn More
- Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin Half Standard Pleached frame 25 Litre Pot£162.40
- Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin Half Standard Pleached frame 70 Litre Pot£290.00
- Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin Pleached Full Standard 35 Litre Pot G 8/10£284.00
- Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin Pleached Wall frame 15 Litre Pot£75.40
- Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin Pleached Wall frame 25 Litre Pot£111.65
- Photinia x Fraseri Red Robin Pleached Wall frame 50 Litre Pot£246.50
- Tilia Tomentosa Brabant 35 Litre Pot Standard Pleached£245.00
- Trachelospermum Jasminoides Pleached Wall frame 25 Litre Pot£111.65
A beautiful, evergreen climber with glossy, green leaves that change to red and bronze in the autumn. You will be rewarded with wonderfully fragrant star shaped flowers throughout the summer months. Frame measures 80cm wide and 150cm Tall. What a great way to plant an instant boundry hedge without taking up hardly any garden.!Learn More
- Trachelospermum Jasminoides Star of Toscane 15 Litre Pot Wall Frame£75.40
Frame size. Height 90cm x width 50cm.Fabulous scented yellow flowers already framed up and ready to plant along a fence, to divide up a border or surround the seating area . What a great way to plant an instant boundry hedge without taking up hardly any garden.!Learn More