Elaeagnus or Spotted Oleaster
If you’re searching for a shrub that will serve as a natural boundary or a beuatiful stand alone shrub in a particularly exposed or coastal landscape, elaeagnus could be exactly what you’re looking for. Our large variety of evergreen elaeagnus provide low-maintenance options ideal for inclusion in flower beds, borders or natural screen hedging.
Characterised by their scaly green foliage - with some varieties also displaying leaves rimmed in vibrant yellow - elaeagnus bear fragrant, creamy white flowers between late spring and early summer, which are often followed by small orange and red berries in autumn.
The right elaeagnus for your garden
We have a great range of elaeagnus plants for you to choose from. From our Elaeagnus Compacta, which makes for a perfect quick-growing screening plant with its dense bushy foliage, to our Elaeagnus Limelight shrub with its glossy, dark green leaves and yellow and lime green markings, ideal when you want to inject a touch of colour into any natural garden border. You’ll be sure to find exactly what you’re looking for with us.
Elaeagnus are very resistant to wind and offer great protection for more exposed landscapes thanks to their dense foliage and shiny, silvery-looking leaves. They are also incredibly resistant to damage by salt winds, making them ideal for coastal locations and seaside gardens.
How to grow and care for your elaeagnus
Elaeagnus hedges are generally hardy and fast-growing plants which will tolerate almost any soil type, including clay-based soils and areas prone to drought. However, they can occasionally struggle when planted in waterlogged soil. These popular hedges can be planted in either shaded or partially-shaded locations, although they tend to develop best in bright and sunny areas as this encourages them to flower and fruit during spring, summer and early autumn.
While elaeagnus are suitable for small to medium size, they can grow up to 6ft if left completely unpruned. Indeed, this plant is relatively quick-growing and if untrimmed will grow around 1 to 1.5ft in height per year. So, while elaeagnus is relatively low-maintenance, at least a certain level of care is required to keep your shrub in check.
When it comes to pruning, it’s a good idea to adopt a ‘little and often’ mentality. This will keep your shrub under control and in a manageable shape. However, we also suggest that a heavier regime of pruning in late winter, ahead of the new growth that comes with spring, will best aid your elaeagnus’ development.
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Compacta 10 Litre Pot 90-100cmSpecial Price £20.00 Regular Price £24.20
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Vivileg 30 Litre Pot 90/110cm£27.50
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Compacta 18 Litre Pot 100/120cm£49.30
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei 30 Litre Pot 220-250 cm£81.00
- Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Compacta 30 Litre Pot 130/150£92.80Elaeagnus x Ebbingei Compacta are evergreen bushy dense shrubs with glossy grey green leaves and white fragrant flowers that smell divine in autumn, even though they are almost unseen beneath the leaves. Makes a great quick growing screening plant. Height now 120-130cm and 70-80cm wide. Monstrous specimen Learn More