You are thinking about making a considerable investment in your garden and you may need some help to make sure you are not going to make a blunder, so please read on.
First thing is to consider, is what you need these big plants for and your relationship with your neighbours, and if you have them how it will be received. If you think they are going to love the idea and want to help maintain the hedge/screen then you can use pleached trees right up to the boundary and they are very good at saving space. You can garden under them whilst blocking out a view. If you think, and it is nearly always the case, that you will be looking after them yourself you must leave room to get to the back to allow trimming.
If all you want to do is hide and help make last an ugly fence or wall you could use the wall frames. They instantly take you out of that imprisoned feeling that 6 foot fence panels create without gobbling up 6 feet of border.
Now for planting pleached trees. We always recommend that you use a rail and rubber pad with a belt to sit about 2/3rds of the way up the clear stem. eg; 2 metre stem, rail at 120/130cm off the floor. The rail can be secured buy 2 post. If you are in a very windy spot use a second rail midway between the top and the floor to give the plant more anchorage and reinforce the support posts. To the face of the rail you need to fix the rubber tree pads and belts to stop the rail rubbing the trunk and to strap the trunk to. (make sure the nail heads are sunk into the pad so they don't scratch at the bark). Best to do this once you have positioned the plants and it's a good idea to know where you are going to be digging the hole for the plant as you don't want to be digging where you have just banged in the posts. Some people like to leave the plants in big planters or pots, the same method of support is best used for them as well. Posts are more important to get in the right spot than the rail, as you can simply over or under lap the rail when starting the next rail. Position the plant upright and fix the pad and belt and you're all but there. Sometimes the frame incorporates the cane or post that is already in with the plant. If it's part of the structure, leave it to protect the trunk and tie it in with the trunk to your support frame.
Pleached wall frames. They hardly need any support especially if they have a wall or fence behind them.
Standard trees should be planted much the same way as the support rail method but they can be don separately with 2 posts a short rail and the same pads and belts. They look like mini rugby goals with the tree in the centre. We now supply a kit for this, but feel free to buy your own.
Looking after them and getting them established.
For the first season you will need to tie in the branches at regular intervals to get them used to the shape of the frame and trim off spare growth you don't want. Once these branches strengthen up and you have the effect you are looking for you will be able to clip the next seasons growth a couple of times a year to keep them to the shape you desire. Feed them in the spring taking care to read the instructions on the rate of application and give them water when they need it. Obviously if they are in pots you will need to do this far more often.
The most common mistake is planting them too deep in an attempt to level the frames perfectly. Never plant any deeper than they already sit at.
Very good luck and please feel free to phone and talk before you get into any difficulty.
Items 1-30 of 47
- Carpinus B. Pleached 10/12 Girth Full Standard 120x150cm Pre OrderSpecial Price £315.00 Regular Price £350.00We are making some new frames in December and only have a limited number. They will be delivered or ready in January in root balled form. If you want to make sure you get them, you can buy them at a reduced extra discounted price. Only thing is, you must order and pay by the end of December. First come, first served. Learn More
- Carpinus B. Pleached 12/14 Girth Full Standard 120x150cm Pre OrderSpecial Price £355.50 Regular Price £395.00We are making some new frames in December and only have a limited number. They will be delivered or ready in January in root balled form. If you want to make sure you get them, you can buy them at a reduced extra discounted price. Only thing is, you must order and pay by the end of December. First come, first served. Learn More
- Carpinus B. Pleached 14-16 Girth Standard 120x150 cm Frame£365.75
- Carpinus B. Pleached 14/16 Girth Full Standard 150x180cm Pre OrderSpecial Price £396.00 Regular Price £440.00We are making some new frames in December and only have a limited number. They will be delivered or ready in January in root balled form. If you want to make sure you get them, you can buy them at a reduced extra discounted price. Only thing is, you must order and pay by the end of December. First come, first served. Learn More
- Carpinus Betulus Full Standard Cube Head 150 Litre Pot£812.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached 1/2 Standard Extra Wide 35 Litre£273.50
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Half Standard 20 Litre£200.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Standard 10/12cm 30/35 Litre£390.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Standard 12/16cm Girth 50 Litre Pot£450.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Standard 7/9cm 25 Litre£350.00
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Espallier Wall Frame 25 Litre£124.00
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Espallier Wall Frame 50 Litre£320.00
- Elaeagnus x Vivileg Espallier Wall Frame 55 Litre Pot 160x110£232.00
- Ilex Nellie Pleached Stevens Full Standard 35 Litre Pot£362.50
- Liquidambar s. Gumball Standard Cube Head 110 Litre Pot£860.00
- Magnolia Grandiflora Pleached Full Standard 70Litre Pot£640.00
- Magnolia Grandiflora Wall Frame 65 Litre Pot 160x110£325.00
- Photinia Red Robin 1/2 Std Pleached frame 120x120£261.50
- Photinia Red Robin 1/2 Std Pleached frame 25 Litre Pot£171.00
- Photinia Red Robin 1/2 Std Pleached frame 50/70 Litre Pot 120x150£265.00
- Photinia Red Robin 3/4 Std Pleached 35 Litre G10/12 120x150£285.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached 3/4 Std 35 Litre Pot 10-12cm Girth£300.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached 3/4 Std 50 Litre Pot G12/14£360.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached Full Standard 180cm ST 120x120cm£287.50