You are thinking about making a considerable investment in your garden and you may need some help to make sure you are not going to make a blunder, so please read on.
First thing is to consider, is what you need these big plants for and your relationship with your neighbours, and if you plant them, how it will be received. If you think they are going to love the idea and want to help maintain the hedge/screen then you can use pleached trees right up to the boundary and they are very good at saving space. You can garden under them whilst blocking out a view. If you think, and it is nearly always the case, that you will be looking after them yourself you must leave room to get to the back to allow trimming and tying in to the frame.
If all you want to do is hide and help make last an ugly fence or wall you could use the wall frames. They instantly take you out of that imprisoned feeling that 6 foot fence panels create without gobbling up 6 feet of border.
Now for planting pleached trees. We always recommend staking with 2 posts and a rail like these. You can buy from us or make your own, but it is the best way of securing them. If you are in a very windy spot use a second cross rail midway between the top and the floor to give the plant more anchorage and reinforce the support posts. To the face of the rail you need to fix rubber tree pads and belts to stop the rail rubbing the trunk and to strap the trunk to. (make sure the nail heads are sunk into the pad so they don't scratch at the bark). Best to do this once you have positioned the plants and it's a good idea to know where you are going to be digging the hole for the plant as you don't want to be digging where you have just banged in the posts. Some people like to leave the plants in big planters or pots, the same method of support is best used for them as well. Position the plant upright and fix the pad and belt and you're all but there. The frame incorporates the cane or post that that was used to shape the plant, leave it and tie it in to your support posts.
Pleached wall frames. They hardly need any support especially if they have a wall or fence behind them.
Standard trees should be planted much the same way. They look like mini rugby goals with the tree in the centre.
Looking after them and getting them established.
For the first season or two you will need to tie in the branches at regular intervals to get them used to the shape of the guide frame and trim off spare growth you don't want. The guide frames are short lived and eventually they will degrade and need removing. It is normal and by then the plants own branches will be thick enough to free stand. Once you have the effect you are looking for you will be able to clip the new seasons growth a couple of times a year to keep them to the shape you desire. Feed them in the spring taking care to read the instructions on the rate of application and give them water when they need it. Obviously if they are in pots you will need to do this far more often.
Very good luck and feel free to phone and talk before you get into any difficulty.
Items 1-30 of 44
- Carpinus B. Pleached 10/12 Girth Full Standard 120x150cm 70 Litre£304.50
- Carpinus B. Pleached 12/14 Girth Full Standard 120x150cm 70 Litre£348.00
- Carpinus B. Pleached 14/16 Girth Full Standard 150x180cm£440.00
- Carpinus B. Pleached 25 Litre 7/9 Girth Full Standard 120x120£246.50
- Carpinus B. Pleached 25 Litre 8/10 Girth Full Standard 120x120£287.00
- Carpinus B. Rockhampton Red Pleached Standard 12/14cm Girth£388.50
- Carpinus Betulus Lucas Pleached Standard 120cm x 150cm Wide£348.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Half Standard 20 Litre£200.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Standard 10/12cm 30/35 Litre£390.00
- Elaeagnus Compacta Pleached Standard 7/9cm 25 Litre£350.00
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Compacta Espallier Wall Frame 25 Litre£124.00
- Elaeagnus x ebbingei Espallier Wall Frame 50 Litre£320.00
- Elaeagnus x Vivileg Espallier Wall Frame 55 Litre Pot 160x110£232.00
- Ilex Nellie Stevens Full Std 80 Litre Pot 14-16cm Girth 100x150cm£495.00
- Ilex Nellie Stevens Pleached Full Standard 35 Litre Pot£362.50
- Liquidambar s. Gumball Standard Cube Head 110 Litre Pot£860.00
- Magnolia Grandiflora Goliath Pleached Full Standard 55 Litre Pot£450.00
- Magnolia Grandiflora Wall Frame 65 Litre Pot 160x110£325.00
- Photinia Red Robin 1/2 Std Pleached frame 25 Litre Pot£171.00
- Photinia Red Robin 1/2 Std Pleached frame 50/70 Litre Pot 120x150£265.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached 1/2 Standard 150x150cm Panel On 100cm Stem£287.65
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached 3/4 Std 35 Litre Pot 10-12cm Girth£290.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached 3/4 Std 50 Litre Pot G12/14£360.00
- Photinia Red Robin Pleached Full Standard 180cm ST 120x120cm£287.00