You can save money over winter by planting ROOTBALLS
At Grasslands, we pride ourselves on offering the highest quality hedging at great value prices. Both our website and our Knutsford nursery boast an impressive variety of different hedges and boundary plants for all types of garden. From small starter ilex hedges to more established holly hedging ready to form natural screens in your garden, our fantastic selection of holly hedging for sale can help you to achieve that traditional British garden look you’ve been searching for.
Holly hedge plants are versatile and diverse shrubs that can be used for a variety of gardening needs. These dense evergreen planters come in a selection of different colours, making them ideal if you want to inject a touch of colour into your landscape. However, holly, or ilex hedge as it is also known, is not just used for its iconic prickly aesthetic - it also makes for great screen hedging. Creating a living barrier and providing privacy for your home and garden, the thick and dense foliage of a holly hedge offers constant cover and shelter throughout the year.
Holly hedging is also an ideal option if you are keen on attracting wildlife to your garden. Their flowers draw bees and butterflies to your outdoor space, while a host of birds and small garden animals will appear in autumn when berries begin popping up. The dense nature of holly hedging makes it a perfect nesting site for birds during winter, offering shelter and protection with its prickly leaves acting as a deterrent for potential predators.
Growing and caring for your holly hedge
Generally, holly will grow in most different soil types, but it does tend to struggle in overly moist, waterlogged areas. When planting new holly hedges, we recommend using a combination of soil and compost to provide the plant with as many nutrients as possible during its early life. While it’s true that holly doesn’t like soil that is too moist, it is important to water regularly, particularly during the warmer summer months. It’s also worth noting that holly hedging develops best in full view of the sun or partially shaded areas.
While they can reach heights of up to 10ft over a number of years if left completely untrimmed, you’ll have to be patient if you want to grow a tall holly hedge from scratch. Holly plants are a slow growing hedge option, typically increasing in height by only six to nine inches each year. Once the hedge has reached a height that is perfect for your garden, it should be pruned annually - in either spring or autumn. This annual trim will decrease the speed of upward growth and help to ensure the density of the holly hedge gradually increases, leaving you with the solid screen hedge you desire.
Order online or visit our Knutsford nursery
Purchasing hedging from us could not be easier. After browsing our website and selecting the right holly hedge for your garden, you can confirm your order online or, if you’d prefer to speak to someone directly, simply call our order line. Of course, you can also pop into our 30 acre nursery in Knutsford to make your purchase in person.
However you choose to order your hedging with us, our friendly and knowledgeable team of gardening experts are always on hand to answer any questions you may have. Our specialists can offer their in-depth knowledge to best advise you on the perfect holly hedge for your outdoor space or landscape. And remember, if you can’t make it to our nursery in person, feel free to contact us by phone or online form.
- Ilex Aquifollium Ingramii 3 Litre Pot£9.30
- Holly Hedger Ilex Nellie Stevens 10 Litre Pot 60-80 cm£14.95
- Ilex Meserveae Blue Maid Root Ball 60/80cm Digging Now£28.40
- Ilex Aquifolium JC Van Toll Root Ball 60/80cm Digging Now£32.05
- Ilex Aquifolium Root Ball 80/100cm Digging Now£37.20
- Ilex Meserveae Blue Maid Root Ball 80/100cm Digging Now£37.25
- Holly Gold King Potted Root Ball 100/120cm£61.85
- Holly or Ilex Argentea Marginata Root Ball 120/130cm£62.85
- Holly Aquifolium Limsi Root Ball 180/200cm Extra Heavy Specimen Pruned£181.50
- Holly Aquifolium Root Ball 190/200cm Extra Heavy Specimen Bush£181.50Traditional green, spiky holly. These are a very wide and bushy field grown specimen. They need two strong people to move them and are a different prospect than a tall thin pot grown plant. If using for a hedge plant 1 to the metre or push them up a little for an instant hedge. 70-80cm Wide Learn More
- Ilex meserveae Heckenfee Root Ball 200-230cm Extra Wide Heavy Bush£290.00
- Ilex meserveae Heckenstar Root Ball 200-210cm Extra Wide Heavy Bush£290.00