Box Hedging (Buxus Sempervirens)
You can save money over winter by planting ROOTBALLS
Buxus hedging is a very popular choice among gardeners and is ideal for planting low borders, getting creative with your topiary and framing your path edges. Also known as box hedges or Buxus Sempervirens, these plants are slow growers, only usually achieving growth at a rate of around 10-15cm every year. This means they are very manageable in terms of upkeep, making them perfect for gardeners of all levels. They are very easily trimmed and simple to keep to a desired shape. If grown to height, these hedges can also offer an idyllic green barrier perfect for providing your garden and home with natural privacy, as well as acting as a dense sound barrier to protect your home from noise pollution.
Potted box hedges
Here at Grasslands, we aim to provide a wide range of hedges that will suit all types of gardens. We know that not everybody has the means to nurture buxus hedge plants from their early stages of growth, which is why we offer box hedging plants for sale at heights of up to one metre. These 40 litre potted plants are very large and grown in our fields, before being transferred to large pots to keep them fresh for planting all year round. Our box hedging plants are ideal if you’re looking for an instant, dense hedge plant for potting in your garden. They look great when they are planted in groups or can be used solely for practising your topiary.
We also offer box hedges housed in containers of six for quick and easy planting.
Box hedges are very tolerant plants and can adapt to all types of soil and planting positions. Taking that into account, hedges can be planted anywhere in your garden and, with a little care, they should thrive in almost all conditions. However, it is best to avoid very waterlogged or boggy sites, as buxus hedges do not prosper in watery conditions. Once the hedges have been established, don’t worry too much if you forget to water them for a day or two because they are usually pretty drought-tolerant.
If you ever find yourself faced with a battered, overgrown or even a neglected box hedge, don’t panic. This native species of hedge is very resilient and reacts well to being pruned. We often suggest, if you have an overgrown box hedge, it is best to prune it within 30cm of the ground. They will recover very quickly from aggressive pruning and shoots will start to appear soon after you have pruned the hedge. Established buxus hedging need only be pruned twice a year - the first time between late May and the middle of June, and then again between September and October to prepare the hedge for winter. It is important to remember that pruning should be done when the weather is cloudy and overcast. This reduces the chance of the freshly trimmed leaves from burning. While the act of pruning will damage part of the leaves, turning them brown shortly after trimming, these brown leaves will drop after a couple of weeks and will be replaced by new shoots.
We strive to provide the best quality service we can here at Grasslands. We understand that all of our customers have their own unique requirements and our expert team of gardeners are on hand to answer any questions or queries you may have about your box hedges. Whether you want to purchase hedging or you’re simply looking for advice, the nursery is open seven days a week. Alternatively, you can head to our contact us page for details on how to get in touch with us via phone or by email.
- Box Hedging 30/35cm Newly Potted£5.50
- Box Hedging 10 Plants in a Tray 10-15cm£9.45
- Box Hedging Instant Hedge Trough 30cm Tall & 45cm Long£29.50
- Box Hedging Instant Hedge Trough 60cm Tall (Inc Planter) & 60cm Long£48.00We have freshly potted big fat extra wide bushy field grown plants into a rather decorative plastic terracotta look trough and clipped them into a neat instant hedge. The extra large pot will sustain them better for creating instant hedging around the patio or pavement seating areas. The trough is 60cm long with 30cm tall extra wide clipped bushes above. Total height with planter 60 cm + Learn More
- Box Hedging Instant Hedge Trough 100cm Long & 100cm Tall (Inc Planter)£85.50We have freshly potted extra wide bushy field grown plants into a rather decorative plastic terracotta look trough and clipped them into a neat instant hedge. The extra large pot will sustain them better for creating instant hedging around the patio or pavement seating areas. The trough is 100cm long with 70cm tall extra wide clipped bushes above giving a total with the planter of over 1 metre. Learn More