Immerse new plants in water immediately, by first taking them out of the pot. Never allow them to dry out. Bamboos are evergreen plants and perform best in rich moist soil.
It is important to incorporate generous amounts of compost or well rooted manure to enrich the soil. Being very shallow roots they appreciate a good thick mulch of bark, compost, manure or leafmould. Keep well watered twice weekly for the next 3 months until they are established, then water extra during any dry spells. It is essential to thoroughly wet the soil so that the water penetrates down to the roots. If the bamboo is planted late in the year mulch heavily and try to give protection from cold drying winds.
They can also be grown in large containers but more care is required. Plant in good soil based potting compost and take care never to allow them to dry out. Always make sure they have plenty of compost in the pot and that the pot is not just full of roots. Leave at least 4 inches at the top of the pot free to allow for ease of watering.
Feed during late spring and summer with a general purpose granular fertiliser and re-new the mulch layer.
The leaves are borne on small branches which encircle the canes. In spring there is considerable yellowing of the leaves followed by some leaf drop. This is normal as new leaves are produced. Some of the old leaves often become papery and brown and stay attached to the plant long after they are finished.
- Phyllostachys Aurea Golden Bamboo 10 - 30 Litre Pot 160 cm£34.50Narrow pointed yellowish to golden green leaves. Grows in fertile soil in full sun or dappled shade out of strong winds. Can grow from 2.5 and up to 8m in an ideal site. All bamboos here are potted on in April to allow new canes up, the plant size is as shown in the picture Learn More
- Phyllostachys Bissetii Green Bamboo 15 - 30 Litre Pot 150/180£40.50
- Phyllostachys Aureosulcata Spectablilis 30 Litre Pot 180/200cm£43.50
- Phyllostachys Nigra Black Bamboo 12 - 30 Litre Pot 140-160 cm£44.85A beautiful clump forming black bamboo with arching habit. Canes normally green the first year becoming mottled dark brown or black. Grows in fertile moist soil in full sun or dappled shade. All bamboos here are potted on in April to allow new canes up the plant size is as shown in the picture Learn More
- Phyllostachys Aureosulcata Aureocaulis 18 - 40 Litre Pot£49.50
- Phyllostachys Aureosulcata Spectablilis 18 - 40 Litre Pot 175/200£52.50
- Phyllostachys Nigra Black Bamboo 18 - 40 Litre Pot 200 cm£61.50